Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dem Boyz in Skinny Jeanz

Music Hall of Williamsburg - July 15th, 2008

I LOVE these fellas. I remember the first time I heard "Seventeen Years" my heart skipped a beat - it shouted "yes! this is what resonates with your internal rhythm" ... something like that. Hailing from Brooklyn, these boys are the epitome of the hipster-messy-nonchalant-look (please reference the denim wrapped needle-thin legs and dominating facial hair).
Although of course, their image is nothing compared to their mad beats and guitar skills. The way Mike flails his arms with theatrical precision as he creates their signature melodies on his guitar is quite amusing/hypnotic.
The concert mostly covered their new album "LP3", which sounds more toned down than their usual fare. It's not my fav as a whole but def contains stand out tracks - check out "Shempi" which has been living on my playlist for a bit. And obv. they wooed the crowd with their singles from previous albums.
Its funny how much I'm in love with them now when the first time I heard these boys 'play' was 2 or 3 yrs ago back when they opened for "Goldfrapp". All they did was stand behind a Mac and drink beer ... it left me unsatisfied and asking "what is this BS?". (Lesson learned: original repertoire dominates lame remixes).

The concert also restored my faith in mankind, or specifically, the mankind of our cruel NYC. As I was dancing around I must have dropped my camera case, which contained my debit card, state ID, camera adaptor - all quite vital items in my life. In my tipsy stupor, it took me about a full 20 min after the show to realize that I was walking around with a camera, alas naked without its case. Immediately sped back and checked the venue from top to bottom, but I came away empty-handed :(. Having resigned myself to taking a trip to the DMV later that I week, I was surprised to find a feat of impossibility propped on the door knob of my apt the next day. Some honest soul brought my camera case back and right to my front door no less. I physically LOL-ed in my hallway. Pretty neat, eh? Thanks to whoever you are! (Although, how did you get into my building?)





Seventeen Years



Lex

No comments: